Friday, June 10, 2011

Solitude Of A Morning Run

This morning I went on an early run. I like running with other people sometimes (depending on the person, haha), but this morning a solo run was just what I needed. The setting was lovely. The sun had just risen, dawn had just broken. I am thoroughly enjoying that the sun rises before 5:30 AM these days and doesn't set till 9, oh the joys of summer. The skies were a little bit gray with light rain clouds, and it had begun to drizzle when I set off on my run. I ran from my apartment, to Balboa Park's museum area, through some of the botanical garden, through some dirt trails, and back home. I passed a couple runners, but for the most part no one was out. I was alone with my thoughts, and considering the minor drama in my life right now, it was nice pound the pavement and sweat it out.

It was my first real run since my marathon, and I wasn't sure how it would go. I skipped anything involving exercise on Monday, I deserved a break after 26.2 miles the day before. But I did a light workout Tuesday and did spin class (although took it easy) on Wednesday. I didn't work out Thursday, but I could feel that my legs might still be a little tired this morning. My knees were a little bit creaky as I started out, but I completed my 4.75 mile loop, and it was hilly at that. Although I felt more sluggish than normal, I felt so good afterward. Totally worth getting up early and resisting the urge to hit the snooze button a few more times (after the 5 times I had already hit it...)

I was also maybe a little bit more light on my feet than normal because I had ordered a new running skirt the week before and was finally trying it out. I had been skeptical about them; before I started running I had no idea people ran in skirts. I could barely run in shorts without chafing. But Body Glide does wonders. I slathered myself up in some of that and, after conquering running in shorts, tried out my running skirt. So comfy. I could definitely see buying another. I bought one because runningskirts.com was having a National Running Day special, 15% off. So maybe I will wait for another deal like that. But it's so cute. Black, teal, and purple argyle. I am not going to lie, I got a couple honks from cars this morning. The skirt made my legs look rather awesome if I do say so myself. And I got a matching sports bra. I think my new exercise goal will be getting my stomach to the point where I am comfortable just wearing a sports bra and shorts (or skirt) to work out. I will probably still never do it, but I would still like my abs to look nice.

That morning run definitely set the tone for the rest of my day. I am feeling happy, and I love the feeling. Plus I earned that beer I am going to have after work today! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment