Friday, August 19, 2011

Anticipating A Lazy 13.1

Wow, it's been over 2 months since I last posted- I am pretty lame!

I haven't posted much because I have not run much in the last couple months. Not only that, but I haven't really even wanted to THINK about running. My marathon was not only physically taxing, but it completely mentally wore me out. I kind of lost interest in running for a while, and I am sure it was because running pretty much took over my life for a good few months. I have a half marathon coming up in 2 days (the AFC Half, which was my very first half marathon a year ago), and I am not really looking forward to it. I guess I am not NOT looking forward to it either... I am just indifferent. I haven't been training for it, so I am looking at it like a leisurely run. I am going to take my time, take in the scenery along the ocean, and just pretend like it's not even a race.

Not training for a marathon has freed up my time for other things I had been wanting to do on the weekends, which is great. I have been able to go to Jeff's baseball games, which is always fun. His team, Cali's Finest, is 8-2 this season and in the playoffs! His first playoff game is right after my half marathon on Sunday, and very conveniently within walking distance from the end of my race. I have been able to go hiking, go to the beach, go to street fairs, and just relax on my days off. When I was training for my marathon, my Sundays would be spent running and my Mondays would be spent doing errands. So it's a very welcome change. Actually, Jeff's team is taking a season off from baseball so when he is done with the playoffs, I plan on making some quick weekend trips. Camping, hiking, and wine tasting (oh my!). It will be really nice to just get away with him for a few weekends.

I have still been exercising since my marathon, of course. I have just been doing everything except running (okay, a tiny amount of running maybe). I have kept up my lifting routine (taking Bodypump classes at 24 hr fitness helps keep it fun), have been training with Angela, and have been spinning with my fave teacher, Najia. Actually, funny story, she said that one of her other students googled "Najia's spin class" to find class times, and stumbled upon my blog! So funny! Najia, maybe you are even reading this now... haha :-)

The major change in my exercise routine has been getting back into yoga. Hot yoga, specifically. A little over a month ago, I decided to purchase a Groupon for Corepower Yoga. My friend Ashley makes fun of me because I have Groupons and Livingsocials for pretty much everything, BUT $59 for a month at Corepower was a pretty good deal. Usually a month by itself is $159 (a membership is a little cheaper)! Hot yoga is a whole different experience, you come out of class all sweaty and exhausted- it's gross and refreshing at the same time. Especially yoga sculpt which is my favorite- weight lifting and hot yoga go surprising well together, if you like torturing yourself, as I do.

Because I had a month unlimited, I ended up going 3 times a week. I like to get the most for my money... I am by no means a yogi, but I have tried to adapt some of the yogi lifestyle. I don't think I could ever be a vegan, or give up caffeine (no more cappuccinos from Twigg's? Not possible), but I have tried to mentally put my yogi shoes on (although I don't think yogis wear shoes...). Before when I took classes, they would just be another workout class to me, and my mind would still be running at full pace. But I have tried to really listen to my body and release my thoughts while in the classes, and I think it has really helped me deal with the stress going on in my life.

Not that there is much stress in my life at all. I have a great life and I am incredibly happy.
I just started a Corepower membership this week, as soon as my month was done. It's pricey, but for me is a worthwhile investment. I plan on taking full advantage of unlimited yoga; it keeps me grounded and makes me feel great. Well, I guess it's a combination of yoga and the awesome people (and Toby) in my life that keep me grounded and make me feel great!

Namaste :-)

5 comments:

  1. Do you still go to 24 hour fitness? I love the Monday night yoga class these. He does a lot of back stuff and my back feels amazing all the next week.

    Sorry to hear about your friend troubles, but I'm sure it's all for the best and your wedding will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steph! Yes I do go to 24, I have done yoga there a few times and I like it. Corepower is just something different- the heat adds a whole new element. Actually, I think it is yoga that has helped me through my situation. In a bunch of my classes, the teachers preach letting go of the things in your life that don't add positive value. And I think I should've done that a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm scared to try the hot yoga! I'm afraid of passing out or something, I don't do well in heat. Is there a little Asian lady named Lisa who teaches there? Her kids went to my old school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually yes! This is so random... my friend Ashley's new job offers free yoga on Wednesdays and Lisa was the teacher this month! But she also teaches yoga Sculpt at Corepower. She has her own studio now, but she still subs. She was the teacher for the first yoga sculpt class I took a few months ago, and I fell in love. The heat makes it tough, but you feel so refreshed afterward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far, ive only done heated yoga, steph. You are so focused on what your body can and can't do that you don't realize that's it's greater than room temp. You do get warm and you do realize that every single part of your body is sweating. I think that's why you feel so refreshed afterwards and esp the next day. You do get thirsty too so drink up buttercup but only water :)

    ReplyDelete