Monday, March 14, 2011

Best week EVER

So many things happened this past week I don't know where to start. Well okay, yes I do...

Jeff proposed!! On our first night on the cruise, he popped the question! I am so excited, I keep catching myself looking at my new shiny ring...




We had an awesome time in Cabo- we snorkeled, parasailed, shopped, drank, and just enjoyed the sunshine. We met some great people on the cruise, we got extremely lucky. Shout out to the Boyds, we are so lucky to have met you!


Another shout out to Samantha, I am so sad we couldn't celebrate our birthdays together this year but I was definitely thinking of you and I hope you had a drink for me!


Back to focusing on running (if I must)...

Yesterday, March 13th was not only my friend Sarah's birthday but also the San Diego Safari Park (formerly the Wild Animal Park) half marathon. I didn't do much in terms of training this past week since we were on the cruise. I ran once for a mile on the cruise ship and then got worried that I would either barf or spaz out and fall off the treadmill because of the way the ship was rocking. Saturday, Najia the Ninja had a JT-filled 90-minute spin class as a birthday celebration for me and Sarah, which was awesome. So that was a good jump-start to my weekend.


Going into the race, I was not mentally or physically prepared. Physically, I was sore from spinning, and I got 5 hours of sleep. Why they decided to have a 7 AM race on the first day of daylight savings time is beyond me. We had to get up at 5 AM (it's good that we did because traffic was bad on the one lane road getting into the park). Plus I may or may not have stayed up till 11 the night before reading the bridal magazines Jeff's mom got me... Mentally, my only thought about the race was that I wanted to finish. I didn't care about my time, I just wanted to have a good run and be done with it. Sarah and our other friend Ashley and I had a joint birthday celebration planned for after the race, so that's pretty much all I was thinking about.


As it turned out, not caring worked quite well. I beat my previous best time (or as they call it in the running world, personal record) by about half a minute. The course was really hilly so I am still not sure how I did that but I got a time of 2:03:21. Yay! I think it helped that we passed the rhinos and the cheetahs coming into the finish... the cheetah was staring me down haha. I would definitely do that race again, it was probably the most fun half marathon I have run so far. It definitely helped that Jeff was there to cheer me on at multiple points during the race, it made me really happy. I think I was just so excited about being engaged that I wanted to finish and see him!


I can't wait until Sarah plans my bachelorette race. Yes, I said race. In addition to my parties (plural, because I know that will be the case), we are going to run a race to celebrate. I don't know how long of a race, that's up to her as long as it's not a full marathon!


Did I mention yet that I can barely move today? Not only was I the most sore I have ever been after a race, I worked out with Angela. And as I've explained, I always feel like jelly afterward. We did mostly upper body, but with Angela, upper body workouts are always lower body workouts too. But that's fine because other than laundry, I will spending my afternoon cuddling with our dog Toby and catching up on all the shows I missed (currently it's The Bachelor: Women Tell All). Sounds like the perfect end to a vacation to me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment