Friday, March 4, 2011

Final Countdown

T-minus less than 2 days until my cruise to Cabo San Lucas. This week has been... taxing to say the least. I am in dire need of a vacation.

So you know how I said in my last post my goal was to run 6 miles the next morning? Yeah... that didn't quite happen. But I did run 5 miles. And considering I had no desire to get out of bed that morning at all, I think that's pretty good. I realized after my run though that my leg muscles were really tight. Tighter than they've been in a long time, despite all my stretching and foam rolling. I think it's because after my race injury, all I could do was yoga... so I did yoga (regular and hot) pretty much every day for a week. I haven't had a chance to do it in a couple weeks, and I think my body was used to having that extra time to stretch. So I decided to go to Carol P's class last night while Jeff lifted weights.

Carol P. can do the splits. That might not sound too impressive, I mean she is a yoga teacher. But she is also 60 years old. How many 60 year olds can say they can do the splits? I have a couple fave yoga teachers at 24 hr fitness and she is one of them. She likes to do "yoga fit" which I really enjoy. I get a little bit bored in the type of yoga that's just breathing and stretching. I need a little bit of a challenge. So throw some pushups, lunges, and crunches in there and I'm all over it. I also love hot yoga, but I used up my trial period at Corepower during my post-injury yoga kick.

Carol decided to focus on core yesterday. I didn't think I would be too sore; I do a lot of core strengthening exercises with Angela. But as the day went on today, I could feel the soreness penetrating more and more. Especially in my obliques (or as I call them, side abs). I love that feeling. Najia also kicked our asses again in spinning this morning, and surprisingly spinning is a really good core workout. I don't love seated climbs, but they do target the abs.

I need to feel like I have been good about working out this week before the cruise, because I know that once we get on the ship all bets are off. I will try to work out a couple of the days, and Jeff and I are going to go running Sunday morning before the cruise, but really I need to have some fun. It's tough for me to let myself take a break, but I have finally convinced myself that I really need one.

My training schedule says that I am supposed to run 4 miles tomorrow. That's not very much in the scheme of things, but I have to work earlier than normal. Not only that but it is also my 25th birthday. I'm thinking I wouldn't mind just sleeping in a little bit and forgetting about all of the bad things I am going to indulge in in the next week...

Before I end this post, I must give a shout out to my sister Katie. Not because she demanded that she be blogged about (she did), but because she is the best sister (and best friend) in the world. And she just turned 23, happy birthday to her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment